November 21, 2008

The Relativity of Wrong

I found this wonderfully interesting article written by Isaac Asimov in 1989 for the Skeptical Inquirer aptly titled The Relativity of Wrong. It talks a great much about the theories concerning the shape of the earth: from the ancient concept of flat earth to the Greek philosophers' theory of a spherical planet to the early 20th century proposition that the earth is not mathematically spherical but an oblate spheroid until the mid-20th century discovery that our dear Mother Earth is pear-shaped.

Yet, the whole point of the essay was pointing out that not just because some old theory has been replaced by a better-accepted one meant that it was absolutely wrong, that, in fact, they are true to a certain level, and that the concept of "right" and "wrong" are not absolute.

There is no such thing as an absolute and complete "wrong" but, in the words of Asimov himself: "....in a much truer and subtler sense, they need only be considered incomplete."

Now I like that so much better than being told I'm wrong.

***

Speaking of wrong... I was - in all honesty - surprised to learn that Sarsi, after all these years thinking otherwise, is not a cola.

I realize that I might be the last person on earth to know that, but if I hadn't read my friend's blog, Sugar and Spice, I would have kept on believing that Sarsi was just another cola like Coke or Pepsi.

When my friend referred to Sarsi as a root beer, I quickly googled it - just to be sure. I had to know. After all, years of belief, of childhood memories, and certainty of what I know might crumble because of that one fact...

And it did! Alas! I was proven wrong. Sarsi - I could never look at this drink the same way again after this - is a root beer: a type of soda also known as sarsaparilla (from the Spanish zarzaparilla, literally little grapevine bush).

Upon reading the term "sarsaparilla", I knew I was wrong. Now my certainty in all things I believe in has crumbled... thanks to Sarsi.

***

Oh well, I guess that's okay. After all, nothing is ever wrong. They're just incomplete.

1 comment:

  1. The profoundness of being right or wrong has been written about, talked about and often debated upon by many great philosophers.

    That is the main reason why it is hardest to decide on the sole basis of things being right or wrong.

    As for that wonderful plug on my blog, thanks dear. I didn't know it would bring great despair on your certainty on things.

    Nevertheless, a Sarsi is just a drink. That's just it. To quench thirst or to serve as a trigger to childhood memory. :)

    ReplyDelete

Send in the clowns!