March 23, 2009

Angst: Part 1

Too many thoughts running in my head. They're like swirls of thick black smoke, smothering... suffocating... I see memories of life past, thoughts of the present, and fears for tomorrow. They imprison my slumber, depriving me of sleep, and force my eyes to open only to find darkness, oblivion. It makes me realize I am alone and that my life after all was just a game of solitaire played in desolation.

Recluse was my only companion. Detachment from this cruel world was the invisible wall I built to protect myself. It was too late when I realized that recluse and detachment had harmed me more than those I've protected myself from could have done. Too late... the damage had gone deep within. It had locked up my soul, chained my heart, and slayed my emotions that I became nothing more than a shell... empty... hollow... nothing but a cold, soulless corpse.

For a long time, that corpse walked this earth, and yet no eyes ever laid upon it, visible to none but itself. That corpse walked alongside people, and yet its feet never touched the ground. Always afloat, never descended, it was afraid to feel the cold earth touching its own cold self.

Slowly, though, the walls of the limbo in which this corpse' forgotten soul had hidden began to crumble. The forgotten soul struggled to rebuild its sanctuary's walls, brick by brick, stone by stone. Yet for each stone it laid, two fell. For each brick it placed back, two crumbled. The more it struggled, the more the walls collapsed. The fight was futile.

That soul, my soul, the real me had no choice left but to step out of the sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send in the clowns!